Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS)
Investigating and Prosecuting Computer Crime
- The Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996
- Sample Cases
A. The Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996
In October 1996, the Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996 was enacted as part of Public Law 104-294. It amended the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which is codified at 18 U.S.C. § 1030. Below you will find links to the amended version of 18 U.S.C. § 1030, as well as a legislative analysis, prepared by attorneys from the Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section.
B. Sample Cases
Many cases have been prosecuted under the computer crime. A few recent sample press releases from actual cases in 1998 are available via links below:
- Eugene E. Kashpureff Pleaded Guilty to Unleashing Software on the Internet That Interrupted Service for Tens of Thousands of Internet Users Worldwide
- Israeli Citizen Arrested in Israel for Hacking United States and Israeli Government Computers
- Former Chief Computer Network Program Designer Arraigned for Alleged $10 Million Computer "Bomb"
- Juvenile Computer Hacker Cuts off FAA Tower At Regional Airport -- First Federal Charges Brought Against a Juvenile for Computer Crime
Go to . . . CCIPS home page || APD home page